RI Department of Health Accepts Non-binary Birth Certificates

Updated: Mar 31

As of October 1, people born in Rhode Island who identify as nonbinary can get birth certificates marked "X" to reflect that gender identity, rather than "M" or "F," for male or female. People of any age can make this change; however, minors will need the consent of a parent or guardian to do so.

Instructions for changing birth certificates are at www.health.ri.gov. For more information, write to the Deputy Director: Ana.Novais@ health.ri.gov, or call 222-5117.